It is a well-known fact that hurricanes can cause massive devastation in a matter of just hours or even minutes. In order to keep your house and family safe during a hurricane, it is imperative to prepare before the storm arrives. Here are nine practical steps to take to keep your home or business safe this hurricane season:
- Make an emergency kit with essentials such as food, water, flashlights, batteries, radio and first aid kit.
- Create a communication plan to understand what to do if you are separated from family members during a storm and designate safe areas to meet.
- Contact your community to see if there are predetermined storm shelters in place.
- Stay informed by watching your local weather channel or listening to the radio.
- Practice your plan with your family.
- Install reinforcements for your windows, doors and roof.
- Remove outdoor items such as patio furniture, umbrellas, dead trees and toys.
- Waterproof your basement and remove electronics to avoid electrical shock.
- Purchase flood insurance (as flooding is not covered in a standard homeowner’s policy).
Following these tips can help ease the damage to your home and speed up the recovery process. To learn more about hurricane preparation and what damages are covered under your policy, contact a trusted AssuredPartners NL agent at (844) 507-2528.
Sources: PropertyCasualty360, Ready.govShare This: