Fireplaces are an appealing characteristic that homeowners desire when searching for their perfect home. Cozying up by a fire on a cold winter night brings comfort during a harsh season. This might be a perk but a lot of people do not realize the responsibility that comes along with having a fireplace. Follow these five tips to ensure that you are keeping the fire where it belongs:
- Have your chimney professionally inspected once a year to determine if it needs to be cleaned.
- Install a chimney cap on top of the stack to prevent debris or animals from blocking the chimney flue.
- Double check that your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and have a fire extinguisher handy.
- Make sure that there are no flammable materials by the chimney; this includes carpet, paper, blankets and curtains.
- Clean out the ashes from the hearth of your fireplace after each fire. This will help increase the life of your fireplace.
Following these steps could prevent a house fire and the costly price of replacing parts of a chimney. To learn more about fireplace safety and preventable homeowners’ claims, contact a trusted AssuredPartners NL agent at (844) 507-2528.
Source: NFPAShare This: