There are still a few weeks left of fall weather. Before it gets too cold outside, there are several steps you can take to maintain your home to keep you warm this winter and protect your property from damage or loss. Take advantage of the fall weather and tackle a few projects around your home. Pay close attention to these areas that could cause potential issues:
- Clean them out by removing leaves and other debris by hand first, then with a scrapping tool and water hose
- Furnace and Chimney
- Have a professional check your furnace and chimney. Both should be cleaned annually and your furnace filter should be changed every three months
- Air Ducts
- Vacuum them out every few years
- Add weather-stripping to seal out cold air which, in turn, will increase furnace efficiency
- Adding insulation to winterize your pipes will help prevent them from freezing, causing a break and water damage. When you start up your furnace for the winter season, be sure to reverse your ceiling fan blades to rotate clockwise. This will create an updraft that forces warm air down into the room which will provide energy savings.
While it seems like the cold weather may never come, it is right around the corner. Being prepared now will help you avoid potential damages during the cold winter months that insurance may not cover. To learn more about winterizing your home and identifying gaps in your insurance coverage, speak with a trusted AssuredPartners NL agent at (888) 702-0901.
Source: ready.govShare This: