How to Protect your Home from Water Damage: Part 1 of 2

Personal Lines Water damage can occur in your home in many ways and it is the most common and costly disaster that affects U.S. residents. Luckily, homeowners can protect themselves with the right coverage but it is important to understand what types of water damage are and are not covered under a standard homeowners policy.

What does the standard homeowners policy cover when it comes to water damage? Coverage is provided for burst pipes, wind driven rain and damage resulting from ice dams on your roof. Think of it this way, water that comes from the top down, like rainfall, is covered by a standard insurance policy. Water that comes from the bottom up, such as flooding from a creek or river, is not covered under your homeowners policy and a separate flood insurance policy must be purchased.

There are several preemptive measures you can take to protect your home from water damage including:

  • Painting water sealant around the basement
  • Inspect your hoses and faucets once a year
  • Seal and caulk your showers and tubs as needed
  • Shut off your water when you are on vacation
  • Install an emergency pressure release valve in your plumbing system to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting.

If you have experienced water damage, be on the lookout for mold. In the second part of this blog series, we will discuss ways to prevent mold build up in your home. To learn more about the water damage that is covered on your policy, contact a trusted AssuredPartners NL agent at (844) 507-2528.


Source: Insurance Information Institute

Share This: