Do you have carbon monoxide detectors in your home? Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer. It is a colorless and odorless gas produced from the burning of fuel in car engines, stoves, lanterns, fireplaces, gas ranges and furnaces that kills more than 400 Americans every year and sends more than 20,000 to the emergency room. Fortunately there are ways to reduce your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place your detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, such as outside your bedroom. Replace your CO detector every five years.
- Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
- Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a buildup of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper.
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.
- Have a mechanic check the exhaust system of your car or truck every year. A small leak in the exhaust system can lead to a buildup of CO inside the car.
- Never run your car or truck inside a garage that is attached to a house even with the garage door open. Always open the door to a detached garage to let in fresh air when you run a car or truck inside.
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning has occurred, call 911. To learn more about protecting your family and home, contact an AssuredPartners NL Agent at (888) 702-0901.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and PreventionShare This: