Halloween, a night for costumes, spooks, trick-or-treating and candy is right around the corner. Do not let this fun, thrill-filled holiday end in an accident. Everything from Jack O’ Lantern candles to extension cords can pose a safety problem for trick-or-treaters and homeowners.
On a night where people are on edge and easily spooked, it’s important to take extra safety precautions before the ghosts, ghouls and goblins start knocking on your door. These quick safety tips will help ensure a happy night of haunting.
- Remind trick-or-treaters to walk, not run and to stick to sidewalks.
- Practice fire safety with these NFPA tips. Lit candles in pumpkins or luminaries lighting your walk way can be easily knocked over potentially injuring a trick-or-treater or starting a fire. Opt for LED lights instead.
- Clear a path. Make sure your driveway and walkway is cleared of obstructions or hazards.
- Make sure your yard is cleared and free of dead branches, extension cords from decorations and anything that could be a tripping hazard.
- Confine your pets. Constantly opening the door for trick-or-treaters leaves time for your pet to escape and the potential for a biting accident. Keep your animal in a room where they can’t escape during trick-or-treat hours.
- Double check your homeowner’s coverage is up-to-date. Trick-or-treating can expose you to potential insurance claims and lawsuits.
Is your home ready for all the visitors you’ll have on Halloween? Be sure to follow these safety tips to ensure that visitors have a great night. Your agent can work with you to identify any gaps in coverage or areas to add extra coverage to your homeowners’ insurance policy. To learn more about the AssuredPartners NL personal insurance options, or to contact an agent, visit: AssuredPartners NL Personal Insurance.
Source: NFPAShare This: