The perfect time to start a home inventory is in the winter, when you are stuck inside. This may seem like a daunting task but it is an important one. It is hard to imagine anything bad happening to your home but it is harder to imagine trying to list everything you own and the value of the items after your house has been destroyed by a fire or natural disaster.
Having a home inventory before devastation can be the difference between a paid insurance claim and a disputed one. Follow these steps to help you start your home inventory:
- Take pictures of the outside of your house from at least 4 different angles. Include pictures of outdoor accessories or furniture as well.
- Take multiple pictures of each room in your house.
- Open every closet, drawer and cabinet and list every item there, including where you got it, when you got it and the cost.
- Take pictures of electronics; including images of the model and serial numbers.
- Photograph china, silver and crystal in their entirety. Since these items can be expensive and intricate, make sure that the brand and pattern is photographed.
- Photograph the garage and its contents.
Be sure to keep multiple copies of your inventory including at least one outside of your property and an electronic version emailed to yourself. Mobile apps can also help you keep track of your inventory. The hard part is taking the initial inventory. Once this is complete, it is easy to update as you add more items to your home. To learn more about how your homeowners’ policy works in the event of a disaster and what will be covered, contact a trusted AssuredPartners NL agent at (844) 507-2528.
Source: PropertyCasualty360Share This: