Pools are great for entertaining and a way to beat the summer heat but they can be very dangerous without taking the proper precautions. Whether you have an in-ground pool, hot tub or an inflatable kiddie pool, it is important to keep safety in mind as there are 3,400 fatal unintentional drownings in the U.S. each year according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Follow these seven tips if you own a pool:
- Install a four-sided fence around the swimming pool area with locking gates.
- Never leave small children unattended in or near the pool.
- Keep kids away from pool filters as the suction force could injure them or prevent them from surfacing.
- Only allow those who know how to swim in your pool.
- Keep glass, radios and electrical devices away from the pool.
- Limit the use of alcohol around the pool.
- Clearly post “No Diving” signs if your pool is not deep enough and have a first aid kit handy.
If you are planning on installing a pool, make sure you contact your town or municipality to understand the local safety standards and building codes. You’ll want to talk to your insurance agent as well to discuss increased liability limits to protect you in the event of an accident. Contact a trusted AssuredPartners NL agent at (844) 507-2528 to ensure that you have the right coverage for your pool.
Sources: Insurance Information Institute, CDCShare This: